بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Bismi Allahi arraHmaani arraHeem
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
-Sura Al-Fatihah, Ayah 1
These are the 3 most glorious names of Allah. Together, this phrase is refered as basmalah.
1. Allah was used in arabic language referring to the highest Lord. The pagans believed in Allah but they still believe lesser pagan gods e.g. hubal, lata, uzza etc.
2. Some people relates God to love i.e. Ar Raheem. Allah has all rights to choose who among His servants to be loved, favoured and guided. That is why we pray to Him, dedicate our lives for Him and hope that He will choose us to be among those blessed. Allah is the Merciful, with our sincere efforts, we will be rewarded.
3. Ar Rahman is even higher than Ar Raheem as Ar Rahman is loving towards all creations, disregarding their beliefs and deeds. Allah provides for all of His creations indiscriminately.
4. Allah used these names to:
– Attract attention of listeners from various backgrounds and understandings about God.
– Remind mankind that the gods referred to by mankind in worship refer to the same and only God.
– Enlighten mankind on His various names and attributes.
5. Always mention basmalah, hopefully:
- We will be guided and supported.
- We will be rewarded in the Hereafter as the deeds are intended for Him.
- We will be mindful in transgressing His boundaries in achieving our objectives
- We will be God-conscious and remember our place in the universe.